Saturday, March 3, 2012

H&M March 2012 (just released): My Picks + Review

The dressing room I was assigned to in H&M was awfully cramped, so I tried to make do with my crappy lighting and dusty mirror in my roomy bathroom....so please keep in mind to excuse the lousy lighting (makes the colors inaccurate) and my poor editing skills (still a noob).

I was so impressed with H&M's just-released clothing line and Angie inspired me to post some pics up!

 1) Black cotton tee with rhinestoned peter pan collar size S ($17.95) + 2) Champagne tweed mini skirt size 4 (has a slight metallic sheen) ($29.95)


 I've been adoring anything tweed lately, but 99% of the time, it's too expensive or it's not the color I was looking for.  So when I found this tweed mini skirt that stayed on my waist, was made of thick tweed material, lined, and was the champagne color I was looking for (it looks pink in the left photo, but I promise it's champagne with a balance of beige and pink tones), I just knew I would get a ton of wear out of it.  Since it is a bit on the short side for work, I would pair it with opaque black/brown tights and voila!  Work appropriate galore.  This H&M tweed skirt seems to run small, since I usually take a size 2 for an H&M skirt to stay on my waist.

The black tee with the swagged-up champagne collar, on the other hand, is a possible return.  I'm in love with the unique, blinged out collar that catches the light so nicely, but I find it kind of weird that this well-made, sturdy collar was stuck on a plain black tee.   Ok, I admit, it does dress up the tee, but....it's still a cotton tee.  Also, the tee is really boxy and unfitted when not tucked in (boxiness not pictured).  I just don't know...what do you guys think?  Is it a keeper?  

 3) Mesh Dot Black Shirt size XS ($17.95) Returned



When I bought this green, high-waisted skirt from my previous Express haul, I had an image in my mind that it would totally rock with a black mesh dot shirt and nude pumps.  As evidenced by the photos, I adore them all together!  With this straight cut on the cotton part of the shirt (as opposed to a sweetheart cut), it makes the shirt less sexy/girly and more clean/minimalistic, which I prefer.  I agree with Angie on the pricing though...I'm not sure if it's a keeper yet.  I just can't seem to find a more affordable mesh dot shirt besides this one and Zara's, which isn't quite perfect but it's a buck cheaper.  This shirt is well-fitted since it's stretchy, and seems to run true to size.

4) Cobalt Blue Fitted Blazer size 4 ($34.95)

I was actually wearing this neon, chartreuse sweater that day and by sheer accident, I was replicating a combination from bcbgmaxazria's spring line! (as pictured below) I have been on the hunt for a cobalt blue blazer like the one from J.Crew (as pictured below), but the J.Crew was way out of my price range.  This H&M one is surprisingly well-fitted, lined, and made of sturdy material.  My only gripe is that it is just slightly too long for my preference (I like when my blazers end right at the top of the hip).  Being 5 times cheaper than J.Crew's, I'm pretty sure this H&M blazer is a keeper.  This style seems to run true to size.

Bcbgmaxazria Spring 2012
J.Crew Spring 2012


5) Slim Black Trousers size 4 ($34.95)



Gals, I know this may sound bizarre, but this was actually my favorite find.  I've been looking for slim black, sturdy trousers ever since I started working, and these surprisingly go beyond my expectations.  The material is so covetable (on H&M's standard) since it's so thick and structured; it has belt loops; the length is perfect on my proportionally short legs; and it is fitted but has a little "give" (definitely not squeezing like leggings, though the pictures suggest they are taut over my butt and thighs...I promise my butt and thighs have room to move).  A well-fitted, already-tailored trousers for below $40?  Hell yes.

6) Cap-sleeve V-neck Black Crepe dress size 4 ($34.95, but I used a 20% off coupon...so it was $27.96)


 I actually purchased this dress 2 weeks ago from H&M, but I figured why not include it in this H&M review since this dress is still available for sale.  (Sorry it is a bit wrinkly!)  I love the cut and silhouette on my body!  Not too tight, but still fitted enough to flaunt my curves.  I love the cap sleeve style on my small, bony shoulders and the v-neck to give me shape on my rather shapeless chest.  This is going to be my one and only LBD (aka little black dress) after I sell my strapless black dress from Zara (if anyone is interested, I'll post a picture below).  I know this dress will go a long way since it's such a timeless staple.

The Zara dress I'm selling (as mentioned above): SOLD
Selling this Zara strapless bodycon black dress with crisscross pattern (can't see this detail in the picture) for $10! Has a slight sweetheart neckline, and is a size XS. One of my bf's favorite dresses on me, but I found another black dress recently that's better suited to my body type (referring to the H&M one).
Overall, I was super impressed with H&M's newly released line, especially the quality and sturdiness of some of the pieces.  I never really considered H&M a "quality" option, but this review/haul is starting to make me think otherwise.  Let me know if this review was helpful :D

heart, alice

P.S. In case you were wondering, the nude patent pumps in the photos are Target Versie size 7 and the black patent pumps are Ann Taylor Perfect Patent Pumps in size 6 1/2.

12 comments:

  1. i like the peter pan collar top and the trousers! i still can't find a good pair of work pants that are slim and tapered but look that way on my thighs ... i remember jean getting your LBD in kelly green at the beginning of spring releases but it's been long gone. thanks for this great detailed review alice :) posting mine soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I've loving tweed lately as well. I really like the tweed skirt that you've tried on. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice change room adventures! i wish there was an HNM in australia! thanks for sharing xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! just found your blog and started following :] anyway if i was interested in buying that black dress you posted, how should i go about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey amanda! thank you so much for stopping by! I have a couple people in my current city who were interested in trying the dress out, so I will remind them again if they still want the dress. I feel bad charging for shipping, but are you willing to pay for shipping too? If not, it's totally fine! I understand that it just adds on to the price.

      Delete
    2. I live on the west coast, so how much would shipping be? I don't think I'll mind paying for shipping but of course if someone else is already interested then that's totally understandable. Anyway thanks!

      Delete
    3. It would be somewhere between $5 and $6. It's definitely not a bulky dress, so I could easily fold it (neatly of course) into a padded envelope or into a flat rate box if you prefer that. Thank you so much for being patient with me. I will contact when it doesn't work out for 2 of my friends here.

      Delete
    4. the dress has been sold. thank you so much for your interest! I'm planning to clear out my closet to raise money for Relay for Life, so if you'd like, you can keep your eyes peeled for that :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous picks. Love the blue blazer and the sleeved black dress.

    http://allyisacat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your picks, they are all so stylish! And you look great in them :) If you like my blog, do you want to follow each other? :)
    www.stylizedluxe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome finds! I think my fav would have to be the black tee with the collar! I wish we had an H&M in Hawaii, but I looking at this post will have to suffice for now! XD
    -Amy

    http://sceniqueroute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete