Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Coveting Now: Practicality

Coveting Now: Practicality

1) Crisp Gingham Dress Shirt:
perfect for layering under sweaters/blazers and for springtime, yet still looks professional for work.  I actually bought one (this exact purple gingham shirt!) from J.Crew during Black Friday sales, but since I never try things on in store.....(a bad fashion habit of mine), I had to return it when I realized a size 2 was too big on me.  Now I'm still looking for one...maybe H&M (except I read that their gingham shirts aren't as crisp and made from flimsier material)?

2) Cobalt Blue Blouse:
bright pop of color that is still work-appropriate.  I love this one from nastygal.com, but it's much too pricy for a polyester shirt.  I would expect a silk material with the price they're asking.  Hopefully I'll find a cheaper one somewhere...maybe H&M again?  I hoping to do some colorblocking and layering with this fun cobalt blouse.

3) Black Skater Dress:
timeless dress that is petite friendly and accessory friendly.  Pile on the accessories with this dress and you can turn it into a brand new outfit every time.  I love how versatile and flattering this dress is, especially for someone like me who has a normal-sized torso and petite legs (anything with a high waistline is my friend!).  This one from topshop is too expensive, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheaper alternative without sacrificing quality.  I want it to last forever!

4) Nude Booties:
elongates the legs and a modern alternative to nude heels.  This paired with the black skater dress = LOVE!!!  These shoes can visually elongate my stocky, petite legs without staying safe with nude heels.  The only color I like is the one from Sam Edelman, but the reviews said that these were incredibly uncomfortable to walk in.  This is understandable, since I own a pair of Sam Edelman's Lorissa, which are by far the most uncomfortable, hottest shoes I own.  What's up with that Sam Edelman?

5) iPhone FM Radio Transmitter for the car:
so I can play music in my car instead of relying on ear buds.  I recently discovered Spotify and am obsessed!  I used to be such a noob and only find music on youtube....but now that I have more music on Spotify, I want to actually listen to them, especially when I make my frequent travels back and forth from Missouri to Tennessee.

6) Leather Hole Belt Puncher:
a great investment that I can use for all my belts that don't fit on my waist.  I only have ONE belt that fits my waist....and I have so many that I WANT to fit my waist.  These aren't too expensive (around $10 on average), and will serve me well in the long run.  All I have to do is find a crafts store....

7) Hand Weights:
to be healthy and toned once and for all....maybe.  One of my new year's resolutions is choose healthier food options and exercise more, and these dumbbells are convenient for me to use at home to do toning and cardio work.  I'm thinking 5-6 pound dumbbells, not 12 pounds as pictures, since I'm about as strong as a fly.

8) Any bike that's not ugly:
to bike to the metro station and for exercising.  My previous bike was hideous (though well-built and sturdy to withstand my noob bike-riding), so I'm hoping to get a decent bike that can get to the nearby metro station (that's too far to walk to, yet pointless to waste gas for).  And when spring and summer comes, biking will be a great workout!

9) Mario Badescu Drying Lotion:
to get rid of my acne blazingly fast.  I'm running low on my Clean & Clear persa-gel acne treatment cream, and I heard so many great things about how this one gets rid of your toughest acne in one night.  I've been meaning to try this for several years now, and now I have a legitimate excuse to purchase it!



This list was mostly practical, with a few fashion items of course (I can't help it!).  I have sort of shied away from super trendy stuff or purchasing items I will only wear once/that will last for one year because I want to invest in items that I love to death and will wear for years and years to come.  Most importantly, these pieces will carry the most memories for me ;)


virtual hugs,
alice

3 comments:

  1. 1. you do NOT have stocky legs. if you have stock legs i have dachshund stumps for legs.
    2. i like the word noob sprinkled everywhere
    3. drying lotion sounds like HG. try & tell!
    4. five guys > in n out. i know, burn me at the stake i'm a terrible californian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAAH you don't have dachshund stumps!!!! i just try to dress in a way that gives the illusion that I have leaner legs. trust me, my legs (especially my ankles and calves) are noticeably bigger than jerry's. :/

      so I've been trying the drying lotion for 2 weeks now. not an HG unfortunately. I'm kind of on the fence for writing a review on one product though. as you can tell, i like to talk a lot and talk about multiple things at once.

      Delete
  2. #1.) Love gingham

    #3.) Versatility and durability are always important :)

    #5.) Need one of these too!

    #6.) IMO if you're punching more than 2-3 holes, you're better off going to a tailor to just shorten the belt (but I guess you don't quite have the problem of trying to convert one of your parent's fancy belts to fit you... ruined the belt--overhangs too much on the side, heh)

    #8.) How long do you plan to keep the bike? Walmart and Target bicycles will break down on you with excessive use... and of course regardless, any bike will probably rust over on you in the St. Louis snow/rain unless you're willing to maintain it/grease the metal parts.

    ReplyDelete