Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to Score High Quality Clothing/Beauty Products for Guaranteed Cheap (+ Current Deals)

I admit it.  Maybe I am guilty for being addicted to shopping and wanting to find THAT ONE dress I have always wanted (but it ends up being multiple "THAT ONE" things).  Maybe I am guilty for watching 15+ makeup gurus consistently (meaning every video they put up, I watch it.  unless I could care less about the topic, like hair products).  But you know what, that just makes me an experienced shopper.  Right?  Right.

Here I want to summarize (not just for yall, but to keep track for myself too) EVERYTHING i've learned not only from my own experiences, but from all the makeup gurus, fashion blogs, and magazines I religiously follow.  Think of it as summarizing a bunch of expert opinions along with my own frugal motivations:

1) Buy SUPERSIZED beauty products: I calculated on average how much I spend on drugstore facial cleansers, divided it by fluid ounces.  Turns out that the high end brand Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleaser (AMAZING BTW) in SUPERSIZE at 32 oz. was actually CHEAPER per fluid ounce than the drugstore face washes.  All because it is supersized.  Though buying the supersized versions will bust your bank temporarily, I haven't bought new face wash in 2 years and i've only finished ~1/4 of the supersized bottle, MEANING I have ~6 more years left of this amazing, high quality face wash (total of 8 years).
Sephora used to have the supersized Philosophy Purity in stores, but I don't think they have them anymore.  I'm sure it will come back because it has in the past.  Otherwise, I know Amazon (eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime, which yall should have if you are a student at a university.  If you don't know about this, look it up) and QVC.com has it.

2) Buy High End Name Brands IN Dept Stores: NOT online department stores, online name brand stores, or in the actual physical name brand store itself.  Unlike the name brand online/phsyical stores and online department stores (which frequently don't show/update on ALL the items they carry), department stores need to move merchandise as quickly as possible.  This means when the name brand items are on sale, they are usually discounted more than if you were to buy the items on sale in the name brand stores.  Evidence: Today, I just scored a blush pink French Connection bandage dress 90% off from original price tag for a total of $17 (as you read further, you'll see why it's cheaper than usual).  It was on sale on top of another sale going on, which frequently happens at dept stores.
In case you were wondering, this is the dress I scored today.

3) Buy Clothing/Shoes With Fixable Defects: Don't be bummed out if you see a tear, button about to fall off, straps of shoes about to detach from the base of the shoe, etc. If you feel you can alter it with some needle/thread or superglue (minimal alterations), you can score MAJOR discounts by buying the items damaged while still getting them as good as new.  Sometimes, especially dept stores, the stores themselves can do alterations for FREE for you since it is their damaged product.  The dress above was such a case (which is why I got it for super cheap), so the lady at the cashier is putting this dress up for alterations for me.  For free.  And at a discount for being damaged in the first place.  hollerrrr.  (UPCOMING DEAL: Belk, where I got this dress from, is having major discounts on already discounted items starting this Friday, June 3)

4) Drugstore/Non-name Brand Products with Better than or Equal Quality as High End/Name Brand Products: I cannot tell you how much I absolutely love drugstore/non-name brand makeup.  They're affordable and can be just as amazing of quality, if not better, as high end stuff.  Here are some makeup products I recommend to buy at the drugstore (and one that is online, but not name-brand):

a) Mascaras.  If you have stumpy stick straight eyelashes like I do, you will love drugstore mascaras.  They are typically a drier formula, meaning they hold curls better (if you use an eyelash curler, or if you have naturally curled eyelashes.  Dang you long eyelashed people), but you have to buy the waterproof version of the mascara (they usually hold the drier formulas).   I find that high end mascaras are too wet of a formula, so they make my eyelashes I worked so hard to curl...droop.  There are a few high end mascaras that hold curls, BUT read the next 2 sentences. For hygiene reasons as well as the fact that mascaras dry out pretty quickly, it is recommended that you switch out your mascaras every 2 months.  (I personally extend it to maybe 3 months of use) Mascaras, thus, generally have a short shelf life.  So I would rather save my money buying the mascaras at the drugstore while still getting the same or better quality I want in a mascara.  I recommend Maybelline, the KING of drugstore mascaras.  (My personal favorite: Maybelline Falsies)

b) Lip Products.  Many drugstore lip products have amazing color payoff and are not drying on the lips!  My personal favorites are Maybelline Pink Please lipstick, Revlon Smooth Nude and Peach Colorburst lipstick, Revlon Colorburst and Super Lustrous Lip glosses, and Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain in Flame (I don't wear lip stuff often).  Other brands I know are amazing quality (but I personally haven't tried on myself) are NYX lipsticks/lipglosses, E.L.F. lipsticks and liquid lipsticks, other Maybelline and Revlon lipsticks, L'Oreal's infallible collection, Rimmel lipsticks, and Wet n' Wild lipsticks.


c) Liquid Foundation: I can see where people may want to invest in a high end liquid foundation since products for the face may be something worth investing in.  But I recommend checking out Revlon, the KING of drugstore liquid foundations.  (Side note: If you're looking for a good mattifying powder/setting powder, I am loyal to the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder.  Otherwise, I personally am not a big fan of powders in drugstores.  But I do recommend one brand online....look at letter "f")


d) Eyeshadows and Eye liners: I live off of my Maybelline quads and NYX single shadows.  AMAZING pigmentation for a great price.  For gel liners, Maybelline (Eye Studio Gel liner) and L'Oreal (H.I.P. cream liner) came out with great ones recently.  For liquid liners, L'Oreal Linear Intense Felt Tip Liner is famous among the makeup gurus.  For pencil liner for your waterline, Milani Liquif Eye Metallic Eyeliner will stay on forever (at least for me).


e) Concealers: for under eye area, I love the convenience of Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfector and the non-cakiness of Covergirl's Simply Ageless Concealer.  For the face blemishes, Sonia Kashuk for Target makes a great concealer palette that color correct different types of blemishes.


f) Powder Foundation: everydayminerals.com is comparable to the overhyped Bare Escentuals brand, and you can even get free samples from the website!  The only downside is that you have to purchase online :(


If you want great quality, fashionable leather products (handbags, belts, gloves), I am obsessed with the non-name brand  Wilson's Leather.  The store that used to be in Knoxville (went out of business...so sad) knew me by name because I went there for gifts so often.  In-store deals and styles are better than online, just to give you a heads up.


5) Buy Collaboration Stuff: I'm talking about when a luxury brand pairs up with a dept store or Target, which means you can get cute designer items for less.  Some collaborations going on right now (that I know of) are CALYPSO St. Barth for Target, Vera Wang for Kohl's, and MANGO for JCPenny.  If you know anymore, leave it in the comments below!



6) Score Free Samples: You can go to the department cosmetic counters and get free samples, especially if you're not sure whether you want to buy the item or not.  I know Lancome is great about this, and I even have lived off of only samples and never have bought the full-sized products (don't advertise this to Lancome).  Also, many beauty sites, like Sephora and Ulta, give great samples if you make a purchase online.  If you get free shipping, it's kind of like you went to the store and bought what you wanted PLUS you got free samples.


7) Free Products from Free Gift Sets: If you plan to buy high end department store skincare/makeup products (or in my case, if your mom plans to buy high end stuff), wait until they have special deals with free gifts.  Usually with some purchase, you can get numerous free items including free cosmetic case/tote bag, eyeshadow palettes, lipsticks, anti-wrinkle lotions, foundations, serums, mascara, etc.  Lancome is launching their Riviera Gift Set from 6/14 to 7/4 with a purchase of $32.50, and you can even reserve your items now before it's launched!



8) Shop Off Season (Check), Shop on Holidays/Post Holidays (Check), Shop Mainly in the Summer and Winter (...What????): So I'm pretty sure yall know about major discounts on winter clothes in the summer and vice versa, and to shop on memorial day, after Thanksgiving, and after Christmas.  But did you know that many stores discount the most during the summer and winter months (especially when the season is about to end)?  This is because summer and winter are major break seasons, meaning people vacation and relax during these months.  Stores know that statistically, more people come out to shop during these months, so that means more sales and discounts!


9) Target:  I think I'm just biased (if you can't tell that I friggin love Target by now, ....), so ignore this tip if you feel like.  They have (and have had) so many collaborations lined up, so keep your eyes out for them in the future (Missoni is coming out this september)!  I know they had William Rast (ahhh I can't believe I got a well-made, super soft leather jacket for $69.99!!!! <3 Target), Rodarte, Mulberry, Dolce Vita, Alice Temperley, Isaac Mizrahi, Temple St. Clair, Tucker, Proenza Schouler, and Zac Posen collaborate with them before.  They also have cute jewelry, bags, scarves, belts (neon skinny belts!), shoes, dresses, tops, and more from their own permanent lines.


10) Buy Makeup from Walgreens, CVS, and Sally's Beauty Supply: If you're already a CVS member and buy makeup, you're automatically enrolled in the Beauty Club, and you can get HUGE discounts on beauty products.  (Testimony: If you know DulceCandy87 on YouTube, she paid $30 for $100 worth of stuff through the CVS Beauty Club!)  All 3 of these stores sometimes have deals like buy one get one free, buy one get one half off, buy 2 sets of Ardell lashes and get a free China Glaze nail polish, etc.  So keep your eyes out for them, because you can get makeup for cheaper than Walmart or Target.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Some of these tips may be ones you know already, but hopefully you learned at least one thing :)  This post was not meant to turn yall into shopping frenzies but to be aware of deals around you.  Great quality, budget-friendly buys (or freebies) DO exist.  Guaranteed.
_______________________________________________________________________________________


I have some other tips, that did not quite make my list but (some) are worth mentioning.  I'm just going to breeze through these:


Tips for High Quality Clothing/Beauty Products for Not-as-Guaranteed Cheap


1) Marshall's, Kohl's, TJMaxx: It's a hit or miss for me.
2) Hautelook, Ideeli, RueLaLa: They have deals on designer clothing/makeup for a certain time frame, but I never found it to be cheap enough for me.  You can sign on with the links I gave or go on the actual website to sign up; it doesn't matter.
3) Ebay: if it's a highly desirable item, it may not always be budget-friendly
4) retailmenot.com: if you online shop, this is your best friend.  They don't always have discount codes.
5) Outlets: I highly recommend the Cosmetic Company Store/Outlet, where they have name brand beauty products at ok discounts (brands I've seen at my CCO: Bobbi Brown, MAC, Origins, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden).  The clothing stores are ok too.  I love the Wilson's Leather, J.Crew, and Banana Republic outlets!
6) Sign Up for Store Email Lists: Usually when you sign up, you get a discount bonus for signing up or being a first time online customer.  I recommend getting a separate email account especially for this because the amount of emails they send can be hefty.
7) Victoria's Secret Semi-Annual Sale: occurs mid-June and early January.  still kind of pricy sometimes.
8) H&M and Forever 21: their quality is hit or miss so I wouldn't completely call it "name brand", but their stuff is freakin cute and cheap!
9) When you go shopping, Bring a Friend Who Has a Lot of Luck: No seriously.  Someone who is always lucky.  I think this is the main reason why I got that French Connection dress for cheap today.  Thank you WENDY!!!!!


<3, alice

4 comments:

  1. omg i love your blog alice. and your tips. and LOVE that dress you bought!!! keep up the good work <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great, alice! you are such a pro and research the heck out of this :) i'm going to share this with my blog readers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree online shops don't have better deals than instore! i remember seing on hautelook a costa blanca jacket for $100 or $200 but its actually a brand/store in canada that is though of as a cheaper brand ($70 at most and they always have big 50% off sales!). i'd also say that online don't buy something expensive that's from a brand that you don't know 'cause you might be ripped off compared to its in-store price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tips really helpful! this one in particular actually helped me a lot :)
    i'm a new follower in your blog btw, please join my blog too if you don't mind!

    http://beautysucker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete